[its-hackers] sys; atsign dragon

Eric Swenson eric at swenson.org
Thu Nov 17 01:15:47 CET 2016

Hi Ken,

I had forgotten whether you were following the https://github.com/PDP-10/its <https://github.com/PDP-10/its> effort to bootstrap ITS from sources. It currently works for me using SIMH but not using KLH10.  However, Lars says it works for him using KLH10.  I’m kind of at a loss at this point as to why.  In any case, I do have a running ITS system using KLH10 (at es-its.swenson.org), so I know that KLH10 works, in general.  However, I’m having issues with disk images built using the klh10 branch of the above-mentioned Git repo.

NETIME dies with a .value, under SIMH, presumably because there is no network (IMP) support.  Or if that support exists, I don’t know how to configure it.  I can’t get far enough with the build on KLH10 to know whether it would work there.  I suspect it would, since NETIME works perfectly find on ES-ITS.

SIMH appears to require :PDSET to be run on each bootload. I don’t know why. KLH10 seems perfectly able to deliver the time to ITS.

Since you’ve written, perhaps you can clarify something for me.  If we use the klh10 branch of https://github.com/PDP-10/its <https://github.com/PDP-10/its> to create a disk image, and in so doing are writing ITS and NSALV to the disk image, and then I boot KLH10 with “load @.its-647-es-u” (my ES-ITS image), is the version of ITS in the FE file system of the disk image used at all?  Are we just loading ITS in memory from the host file @.its-647-es-u, rather than from the disk?  (This, is as opposed to loading @.ddt-u and dskdump.216bin into KLH10, and then loading the @.its (or whatever it is called) from the disk’s FE file system).  The reason I asked is that when I built a disk image using the above repo (klh10) branch, which writes an ITS in the FE file system, but rather than booting with dskdump, I boot with “load @.its-647-es-u” and “go”, I still exhibit corruption when attempt to rebuild midas and then use that built midas to assemble anything.  The thing I find weird about this is that I don’t think I’m using the ITS from the disk, but a pre-built ITS that I know works perfectly fine (since it is the same ITS that I use to run es-its.swenson.org).

Any help would be appreciated. — Eric