[its-hackers] sys; atsign dragon

Ken Harrenstien iceklh at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 08:56:06 CET 2016

Yeah, there is no such thing as a FE file system in the
KLH10 world -- you just load what you need from the host
file system and go.  This can be a bootstrap that knows
how to boot from virtual tape or disk (eg TOPS-20's
BOOT) or you can simply load the entire operating
system (eg for ITS) which as you have discovered is a
lot easier than trying to get the native bootstrap to work.

Trying to emulate a real FE or a FE file system seems like
an exercise in particularly cruel masochism.  The host system
is your FE.

I did once entertain the idea of emulating the KA10 paper-tape
bootstrap function, but Dave Moon and Alan Bawden convinced
me very quickly that the KS10 was the way to go (it's not even
likely that any KA10 ITS system dumps have survived).

--Ken