[its-hackers] Resurrecting Muddle on ITS

Adam Sampson ats at offog.org
Wed Apr 25 11:08:20 CEST 2018

Hi its-hackers,

As part of the ITS project on GitHub <https://github.com/PDP-10/its>,
we've recently been working on resurrecting the Muddle interpreter,
based on the TOPS-20 source for MDL 106. After fixing several cases of
bitrot in the code and build tools, we've now got an interpreter that
seems to basically work:

  :mdl
  MUDDLE 56 IN OPERATION.
  LISTENING-AT-LEVEL 1 PROCESS 1
  ,MUDDLE$
  56
  <+ 3 4>$
  7
  <FLOAD "ATS;ROMAN">$
  "DONE"
  %%<ROMAN-PRINT 2018>
  %%<TERPRI>$
  MMXVIII

If anyone's interested in having a play with this, I've just merged it
into the standard build.

At present we only have the Muddle interpreter, and not any of the
associated tooling that the manuals mention (editor, debugger,
assembler, library packages, etc.).

The only Muddle application we currently have is Zork, which needs more
work to get it up and running. Does anybody here have any other ITS
Muddle code that we could use to exercise the interpreter?

Most of the tooling problems that we've had to fix for this relate to
the interaction between MIDAS and STINK (following up on KLH's
"Computational Archaeology" described in STINK DOC). We've now got a
better understanding of how this works, and if you've got anything else
that needs STINK to build, we have more chance of getting it working...

Cheers,

--
Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org>                         <http://offog.org/>