[its-hackers] GT40 news

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Thu Jan 21 08:21:08 CET 2021

Hello,

Some GT40 related updates.

- I'm trying to investigate whether there were one or two GT40 machines
in the AI lab.  I believe one started out as a SUDS workstation (a 1974
version does work), and was later revamped into a CONS console.  It was
connected to T34 the whole time.  Probably a second GT40 was in the Mini
Robot lab.  It would usually be a console for the Mini Robot PDP-11/45,
but could also be switched over to T40.  The problem is no one I asked
clearly remember this.  The Mini Robot people say they recall their
GT40, but no other.  The other AI lab people, vice versa.

- The Lisp display slave for the 340 was updated to also support a GT40.
This code was built into Maclisp until around 1974, but was split off
into a separate FASL during the shift to new I/O.  This FASL was
slightly recoded and still worked for the 340, but GT40 support was
botched.  I fixed this, and now a call to DISINI can select display at
runtime by supplying a second argument.  Tested with Lisp Logo.

- Speaking of the Mini Robot lab, I also found their version of GT40
Spacewar.  It was written on DOS-11 using its MACRO.  I haven't been
able to assemble it with ITS' PALX; apparently the syntax isn't 100%
compatible.  I'm looking into assembling it on DOS-11 or some other
PDP-11 operating system.

- I found source and binary for Bo Eross' Spacewar, written for a GT40
at Stanford.  The binary works fine on the SIMH emulator.

- The Mini Robot lab produced some other programs for their GT40.  I'm
talking to lab members about requesting files from MIT.