[its-hackers] Muddle function to remove a node from a list.

Eric Swenson eric at swenson.org
Sun Apr 11 22:25:02 CEST 2021

My opinion only and not necessarily based on any well-founded principles or precedents:

It should return the mutated list. The caller already has the node that was removed (having passed it as an argument), but in order to perform further operations on the mutated list, having your function return it allows callers to invoke functions on the result of calling your function — rather than having saved a reference to the before-mutated list in a local variable, and then having to perform tour side-effecting function, ignoring the result, and having to referenced the saved reference to the now-mutated list.

-- Eric