[its-hackers] MUDDLE Question about about MIMPKG >

rrs0 at earthlink.net rrs0 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 30 07:29:17 CEST 2021

Hi Eric ,
Since I owned / maintained the  MDL at ISI when CLR or TAA weren't working on MDL, I was told that I was a
ZORK wizard and I could save a new version of the game. They also said " As a wizard, I would have to
Figure out what else a ZORK  a wizard could do. I took that as a challenge to hack  on  ZORK.

Greg Finn, and Larry Fye (Op-Fye at ISIB) first started to explore ZORK with IDDT found a quote magic word
("maurant vasjey" I think ) in the Text strings. They then asked me for help. That's when I first came up with the
idea to dump the room data base in A people readable form, BTY I had to break circular links
 so the tree walk wold not loop forever. I next found  When you load ZORK into a fresh MUDDLE, ZORK would remove
or hide all the normal printing and debugging functions. I just would reinstalled PPRINT and FRAMES
to the core Image of the muddle with Zork load, then saved it.

One other thing I discovered was that a ZORK wizard could was type ^G an d get back to MDL's read eval print
Loop, <ERRET T> would cointinue the interrupted ZORK. We also knew  how to PPRINT a muddle object form DDT.
We found the room database which had circular links in it. I spent a fair amount of time writing a pretty print routine
for the room database.  We then printedf it to a disk channel and studied it. Now we had the current map of the
Dungen we knew where we wanted to go, you still had to solve that room though.

Since it would take a long time to go from the being of ZORK to the  room you were working on, I wrote my
TELEPORT room function. This function Would let a ZORK wizard teleport to any room inn in the maze. We at
ISI got very good in making the above changes to each version of ZORK we got form DMS-MIT, also known as
"The Zork Machine".

Then ISI offered a challenge to DMS that we would solve anything new added to ZORK in one week. This started
Freak out Zork's creators at DMS. I not sure if it was CLR or TAA, who found ISI's ZORK was a little longer then
Anyone else's ZORK. I think it may of been TAA who found my teleport function on one of the ZORK's  oblist and
what ISI did. I thought this was a wonderful hack!

	Rick