[its-hackers] Zork wizardry

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Fri Apr 30 08:04:50 CEST 2021

RRS wrote:
> Then ISI offered a challenge to DMS that we would solve anything new
> added to ZORK in one week.  This started Freak out Zork's creators at
> DMS.  I not sure if it was CLR or TAA, who found ISI's ZORK was a
> little longer then Anyone else's ZORK.  I think it may of been TAA who
> found my teleport function on one of the ZORK's oblist and what ISI
> did.  I thought this was a wonderful hack!

In some sense, you were playing a meta-game of hacking the program.
Maybe it was even more fun than playing the game!  I wonder if there is
some int-fic game that has such an element on purpose?

Speaking of Zork wizards, we have this list:

WINNER:	CAME	XUNAME,[SIXBIT	/TAA/]
	 CAMN	XUNAME,[SIXBIT	/MARC/]
	  POPJ	P,
	CAME	XUNAME,[SIXBIT	/PDL/]
	 CAMN	XUNAME,[SIXBIT	/SEC/]
	  POPJ	P,
	CAME	XUNAME,[SIXBIT	/BKD/]
	 CAMN	XUNAME,[SIXBIT	/ELBOW/]
	  POPJ	P,
	AOS	(P)
	POPJ	P,

It's the usual suspects, except ELBOW.  I figured out who went by that
name (his initials were actually ARM) and asked why he's in the list,
but he didn't remember.