[its-hackers] File name wild cards

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon May 31 22:52:58 CEST 2021

IIRC, there was never any "wild card" mechanism in ITS, other than the
use of <> characters.   Most common was just a numeric second name to
represent a version number.   But for things where you didn't want any
ambiguity, some unique FN2 would be used.

In the MIT-DM group, there was at one point in the 70s a scheme for
documentation established, called "Convention 2" (I don't remember there
being a Convention 1).   I think that's where the notion was created of
second names combining the username with a version number.   There was a
big push to create "libraries" of software, putting the relevant files
into a common directory;  prior to that, everyone mostly kept their
files in their own directory.

But I don't think there wasn't anything special in ITS to treat such
names differently.   If you used an FN2 of <loginname><version>, the >
and < would typically pick out the file you expected.   Any specific
file was typically created and evolved by one user, so the <loginname>
part of that file's name wouldn't change.

For what cases does <> not work?   I think of <> as like the Unix shell
* convention, but selecting the file name with the numeric biggest or
smallest result if there's more than one match. So it should always find
something if there's any match on FN1. (<> is something I've always
wished Unix had too.....)

/Jack Haverty
JFH at MIT-DM 1970-1977