[its-hackers] File name wild cards

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue Jun 1 19:18:04 CEST 2021

Well.... Convention 2 is long gone, so there are no rules anymore. You
can do whatever you want with your file names.

If you're trying to be historically accurate, the typical pattern for
FN2 was a letter often signifying use of file, followed by your login
initials, followed by a 2-digit version number.  So, for example, a file
containing PDP-10 assembler might have been "STRPRS MJFH03" for a
3rd-generation version of STRing PaRSer that I (JFH) wrote.

That naming convention mostly applied when you put your files into a
"public" directory for others to use.  Of course there was no file
system protection or permissions, so it was just a Convention to do so.
Two digits might not be enough for versions, so I remember keeping work
in progress in my own directory, until it was finished, debugged, and
ready for release - so STRPRS might have started life as DSK:JFH;STRPRS
1 and evolved from there to eventually be "released" as STRPRS MJFH01.

I don't remember all of the prefix letters.   M indicated Midas, U for
mUddle.   Probably there were some more.  I don't think there was a Teco
prefix - a file you were editting was likely an M or U instead.

If what you're trying to do is figure out how to search for and find
files in some directory, the classic way to do that was to read the
.FILE. (DIR) "file" from that directory, and simply parse the results to
get all of the file names.   E.G., reading DSK:JFH;.FILE. (DIR) would
get you a listing of all files in DSK:JFH; -- somewhat like doing "ls
-ls" in Unix.

/Jack