[its-hackers] File name wild cards

Eric Swenson eric at swenson.org
Tue Jun 1 19:50:52 CEST 2021

For what it's worth, MIT-MC used a slightly different convention.  It, too, used the developer's initials and a version number, but no prefix to indicate the type of file.  This provided 2, 3, or 4 digits of version and 2, 3, or 4 characters for initials.  This convention was used for Lisp library and Macsyma files.  Normally, the directory in which the files were stored provided information as to the kind of file (hence no need for a prefix letter to indicate this).  For example, here is a fragment of the files in the LIBDOC directory (from MC):

  1   DEBUG* RCW1   5   3/23/2018 17:26:00
  1   DEFSTA GJC1   1   3/23/2018 17:26:00
  1   DEFVST 164    3   3/23/2018 17:26:00
  L   DEFVST DOC    .INFO. LISP DEFVST
  0   DEFVST NIL    3   12/8/1981 16:21:25
  1   DIDL   CHART  1   3/26/2018 12:08:33
  1   DIDL   DCH259 17   3/26/2018 12:08:33
  1   DIDL   HELP   1   3/26/2018 12:08:33
  1   DIDL   INFO   2   3/26/2018 12:08:33
  1   DIRSIZ GSB2   1   3/26/2018 12:08:33
  1   DOCTOR JONL2  6   3/23/2018 17:26:00
  1   DOW    JONL4  1   3/23/2018 17:26:00

All of these were lisp sources.

-- Eric