[its-hackers] ITSPKG WINAGE

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Wed Jun 9 09:49:18 CEST 2021

Jack Haverty wrote:
> Although EMACS had a Muddle mode, I remember the most common way of
> creating Muddle code circa 1975+ was to use the "editor" package
> inside Muddle itself.

Thanks, that's great information and clues for further digging.

> Does this sound familiar?  Has that "editor" been revived?

It has not, and I haven't seen anything like it so far.  Do you think it
would be based on TECO, or something else entirely?  Do you have any
guess as to when this was in use?

There's the 1974 DMCG memo SYS.11.14 "EDIT: The MDL Editor" by Neal
Ryan.  I don't have a copy, but Lebling said he had a printout.

I see a file MUDBUG; EDIT NHELP which seems to describe a "structure
editor" command set.  There is also a binary NBIN file, and a few
versions of EDIT source files that seem promising:

PACKAGE "EDIT">

<RENTRY DEADIT
        EDIT
        FREDIT