[its-hackers] ITSPKG WINAGE

Rhialto rhialto at falu.nl
Wed Jun 9 21:09:14 CEST 2021

On Tue 08 Jun 2021 at 09:28:03 -0700, Jack Haverty wrote:
> So even large and complicated code could be viewed in a way that made the
> program logic more visible.   Of course you could also run the code, find
> problems, and fix them.  Eventually you might PPRINT the code to a text
> file, but it wasn't necessary.   You could always just save it as a Muddle
> object.

Syntax-directed editors have been quite popular in some circles. "My
professor" at university (Kees H.A. Koster) was quite fond of them.
I think he even had some software to create an editor automatically from
a grammar. It may have been created as a master thesis work or something
like that. The ELAN programming environment also had a structured
editor. http://www.cs.ru.nl/elan/ (that page is way out of date; Prof.
Koster died in a motorcycle accident years ago)

> This fit in to the popular philosophy of the day (IIRC Gerry Sussman's) that
> Programming was accomplished by "taking a blank sheet of paper and debugging
> it".

"Programming is debugging the empty program" I sort of thought I had
invented that, but apparently not :)

-Olaf.
--
___ Q: "What's an anagram of Banach-Tarski?"  -- Olaf "Rhialto" Seibert
\X/ A: "Banach-Tarski Banach-Tarski."         -- rhialto at falu dot nl