[its-hackers] Fwd: [PDP-10/its] Use the CH11 Chaosnet address (#2038)

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Jun 24 18:06:55 CEST 2021

Hi Lars,

Yes, you could be right.   While I was in MIT-DM (1970-1977), I remember
ENG directories, but never heard them mentioned as "English".   OTOH, I
never heard them referenced as "Engineering" either.   That's just what
I assumed ENG meant.   It may have been an AI convention which DM just
adopted with all of the ITS code and conventions.  Unlike other groups,
we just wanted to use an OS, not invent a new one.

I don't recall there ever being any other languages in use. Everything
was in ASCII (no EBCDIC even), so other languages' character sets
weren't supported.   Instead of ENGlish, I would have expected TXT or
maybe ASCii or CODe as a naming convention for source directories.   But
I don't remember anything like that either, it was all ENG.  I suspect
most people wouldn't recognize Midas PDP-10 instructions, or TECO
macros, or even Muddle, as "English", especially today.

/Jack