[its-hackers] 1967 ITS mentioned

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Aug 19 19:59:17 CEST 2021

    > I'll forgive a mid-80s journalist for not getting all details right.

I'm less inclined to forgive errors like that (which produced my acid
response). There are a number of scenarios as to how that error could have
gotten in:

- The writer thought they'd heard it at some point, but never checked about
	it correctness
- Their actual source actually said it, but was clueless (didn't know
	the real history)
- Their actual source actually said it, but kinda made it up

(I tried to only list the possible ones, not ones which theoretically possible,
but unlikely - e.g. 'The writer flat out made it up'.)

Still, all three of those are really problematic: e.g. for the last two, the
writer would have to have had no ability to detect that their sources were
problematic.

	Noel

PS: The SABRE point was interesting. Real-time transaction systems do have
some overlap with time-sharing, but also fundamental differences.