[its-hackers] its-hackers Digest, Vol 52, Issue 2

Elias Mårtenson lokedhs at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 09:02:47 CEST 2021

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 at 21:25, Christopher Stacy <cstacy at dtpq.com> wrote:

> I can tell you with certainty that APL was big business - outside of IBM
> - as early as one year later than Jack's date. And that non-IBM
> implementations were commercial in 1970.

I'm aware of this, of course.

> I started programming in APL in the summer of (I think) 1973.

Are you still using it? My first real exposure to it was around the time
GNU APL
came out, so I don't have a personal connection with its history. This is
probably
why my implementation takes more liberties with the language, mostly by
stealing
ideas from Lisp.

>   > Could the Wikipedia article be wrong?
>
> There are plenty of more credible places on the web to get that kind of
> information. It will sometimes nerequire more than a single click.

Of course. I'm not researching APL history, and my comment was a question to
Jack, asking what version he was using. Even if I had known with absolute
certainty the exact timeline, my question would have been the same.

Regards,
Elias