[its-hackers] its-hackers Digest, Vol 52, Issue 4

Elias Mårtenson lokedhs at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 19:17:43 CEST 2021

On Fri, 27 Aug 2021 at 23:36, Christopher Stacy <cstacy at dtpq.com> wrote:

> No; I loved APL but haven't used it since my intern days
> at STSC. APL*PLUS of course. The hottest thing was the
> Amdahl/470 and the coolest thing was the IBM 5100.
> And daisy-wheel terminals replacing 2741s and thermal
> printers. The latest innovations were ragged arrays,
> and (at lest talk of) lazy evaluation (which I think was
> referred to as "J-vectors").

Lazy evaluation is the key feature of my implementation. It means,
for example, that the following is O(1) in time and space for any N:

(1000+⍳N)[N-1]

If anyone is interested: https://github.com/lokedhs/array

Speaking of which, I believe the arithmetic in Common Lisp
> was influenced by Guy L. Steele's experience with APL.

Did he speak about this? I have watched some presentations by him,
but that's pretty much it.

> What we really need, though, is a version of APL
> mashed up with TECO. It could have a meta-object
> protocol; applying matrices to cross-cutting
> features (e.g. "function advice").

TECO is one of those things that I have played around with,
and I find very interesting. I tried to use it for a while, but
I always seemed to screw things up when loading and
saving files, and I could never really wrap my head around
it.

> I always wonder in these days of functional programming
> on computers with graphics and soft keys, if maybe APL
> could make a comeback.

That's what I'm trying to do. Look at this:
https://peertube.functional.cafe/videos/watch/7d0d2ac6-15b5-4e56-a8b0-67665ea8cf62

Regards,
Elias