[its-hackers] The Register article on CLU

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Tue Sep 7 07:57:08 CEST 2021

Björn Victor wrote:
> "Give us a CLU: Object Oriented Programming pioneer arrives on GitHub"
> is the title of an article in the British online publication The
> Register, featuring "our own" Lars Brinkhoff, and of course Barbara
> Liskov.

Thank you.

Liskov agreed to an interview, so I'll try to expand on the details of
early CLU development.  There is a lot of interesting stuff.  For
example, did you know the CLU group had a bunch of VAXstation 100
terminals?  As luck would have it, the Stanford W window system
supported this terminal so CLU programmer Bob Scheifler had it installed
and made improvements resulting in X.  CLU had an X library even before
C did.