[its-hackers] "ITS" pronunciation

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue Sep 14 20:39:32 CEST 2021

Sounds plausible.   But that still doesn't explain the origin. I.e., did
TK invent the name "Incompatible..." first as a "hack" on CTSS?   or did
colloquial references to that generic timesharing system by statements
like "It's up" or "It's down" establish ITS as the de facto name of that
generic system, with TK inventing "Incompatible..." to explain ITS as an
acronym?

In 1967 I was taking a course in OS principles (Donovan & Madnick),
which used the IBM system as a lab.  Can't remember if it was the
computer running CTSS then or one running the IBM OS.  The final exam
involved an assignment to write some code to do something in the OS (all
on punch cards of course).  The grading program would load each
student's code and execute it within the OS, and create a grade based on
the observed results.

There were two legitimate ways to get an A:  1) do the assignment and
write code that worked, or 2) write code to hack the grading program so
it thought, incorrectly, that your code had done the assignment
properly.   Such was the philosophy of hacking that was good preparation
for getting into the ITS environment a few years later.

/Jack