[its-hackers] "ITS" pronunciation

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Sep 15 00:15:24 CEST 2021

The culture and language probably changed a bit over time.   I left in
June 1977.   While I was there, two groups existed: LCS (Laboratory for
Computer Science) and AI (MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab.   So
everything that wasn't AI was a part of LCS, which itself was called
"Project MAC" before it became LCS.   So, at least up to 1977 or so, DM
was one part of LCS, along with the other groups that weren't AI.   If
DM became separate from LCS, it happened after I left.  We also had some
minor ties with ESL (Electronic Systems Labs) which was in old building
20; that's where ARDSes came from.

I was contemporary in DM with MARC, TAA, PDL, MB, AV, MSS, MSB, AC, ALB,
CLR, SWG, DC, SGP, PJ, RMM, AKB, RDB, GFP, SBP, LGP, BKD, and probably
more I don't remember offhand, plus a bunch of students, usually
identified as URxxx (UR stood for Undergraduate Research).    It would
be interesting to hear how they remember "ITS" being pronounced.

Names changed over time.  Muddle became a non-approved name at one
point, due to concerns that funding agencies in the government wouldn't
be inclined to send money to researchers who were "muddling around".
So, MDL appeared.  I don't recall ever hearing such concerns about ITS,
but I would expect that an "Incompatible" time sharing system might also
have raised eyebrows.   So maybe it became Eye-Tee-Ess with some other
explanation for the "I"...

DM was on the second floor, but our PDP-10 was on the 9th floor with
everything else (to be close to the "tenth floor" which was the
aircondittioning equipment.   IIRC, Multics group was on the 5th floor,
AI on the 8th and 9th; can't remember what other floors were part of LCS/AI.

In addition to Barbara Liskov and the CLU group, Prof. Mike Hammer and
his crew also moved in at about the same time.

Everything above IIRC...it's been a long time.

/Jack