[its-hackers] "ITS" pronunciation

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Wed Sep 15 07:35:45 CEST 2021

Jack Haverty wrote:
> But that still doesn't explain the origin. I.e., did TK invent the
> name "Incompatible..." first as a "hack" on CTSS?  or did colloquial
> references to that generic timesharing system by statements like "It's
> up" or "It's down" establish ITS as the de facto name of that generic
> system, with TK inventing "Incompatible..." to explain ITS as an
> acronym?

At this point there may not be any way to prove the origin one way or
another.  I haven't seen any written records that discuss the naming, so
we would have to rely on people's recollections.  As far as I have seen,
the prevailing story is that it was first named "Incompatible
Timesharing System" in reference to CTSS.  Until now I haven't even
heard about a competing theory.