[its-hackers] acronym for MUDDLE

Chris Reeve chrisxreeve at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 19:09:40 CEST 2021

My recollection is slightly different. At the time of Muddle's creation
Gerald Sussman and Carl Hewitt in the AI lab and Dave Cressey, Bruce
Daniels and I were in the Dynamic Modelling and Computer Graphics (DMCG)
group. Since the goals of DMCG were not very well defined so Sussman and
Hewitt referred to us as the Dynamic Muddling group and Muddle was taken
from that. It is quite possible that we used the "We are muddling around"
line once we started working on Muddle. As you probably know when we were
forced to change the name "Muddle" to "MDL", internally MDL meant Muddle
died laughing.

-Chris