[its-hackers] acronym for MUDDLE

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sun Sep 26 19:26:41 CEST 2021

My recollection is that MUDDLE was never an acronym.   Too many
letters.  Rather it was a parody of the name of the group - "Dynamic
Modelling".   Instead of "Modelling", the small group working on what
became MDL were "Muddling around", experimenting with language ideas,
adopting techniques from LISP, and especially building tools to create
an IDE instead of just a language.    I don't remember but I can believe
that I probably wandered by CLR's office and asked "Whatcha doing?" and
got "Just muddling around" as a response. It's the kind of thing I can
easily imaging Dave Cressey (DC) would have said.  We all did a lot of
muddling in DM, in hardware as well as software.

Lick's early papers presenting his vision of how computers should be
used to augment human activity introduced the concept of "dynamic
models", which I always assumed is where the group's name came from.
So building tools was part of the charter, since they fit the definition
of computers helping people (us hackers at DM).   The DM group name even
changed as the focus of the funding agencies shifted.  E.g., at one
point we were "Automatic Programming", when the government wanted us to
figure out how to make it possible to develop software faster and
cheaper.  But the PDP-10 was always called MIT-DM.

That was in contrast to Minsky's group working on Artificial
Intelligence, whose focus was on having computers do what people did,
rather than just "helping" humans do stuff.    So in DM, there was
always the notion that a human was involved and the computer was
assisting, whereas in AI the notion was that the computer should be able
to operate on its own as an artificial intelligence.

There was another major effort called "CALICO", which may have been an
acronym for something (CAre was part of it).  That was based entirely on
PDP-10 assembler.   There was even a rudimentary implementation of a
higher-level language built as part of CALICO, called "CHILL" which
stood for Calico HIgh Level Language).   PDL would know more about
that.   I believe it was part of the demonstration at the ARPANET setup
for the ICCC '72 conference in Washington, DC, where attendees could use
CHILL on MIT-DM by remote access from the ballroom.

MDL is still the best programming environment I encountered over 50
years.   Today, Node Red comes pretty close to actually implementing
Lick's vision of creating programs by "plugging together" program
fragments from a large dictionary of pieces.  But it doesn't have the
rich toolset for debugging and optimizing that MDL created.

/Jack Haverty
(MIT-DM 1970-1977)