[its-hackers] "ITS" pronunciation

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Thu Sep 30 09:16:31 CEST 2021

Ken Harrenstien wrote
> I always felt there were two distinct (and dare I say, often
> incompatible) communities using ITS.  You had AI/ML (then AI/ML/MC) as
> the main trunk and then there was this weird mutation called DM.

And perhaps the CLU group was a small isolated pocket inside DM.

>From a copy on the SAIL PDP-10, I found this file COMMON; USER PRIOR.
Clearly the Dynamic Modeling people were supposed to stay off the AI
PDP-10.  Of coruse they had their own computer to work on.  But ranked
along with high school kids?  Harsh.

A. I. LAB                                       JUNE 15, 1971

                        USER PRIORITY PROCEDURES

PROCEDURES ARE BEING INSTITUTED.

        1. INDIVIDUALS OF LOWER PRIORITY GROUPS SHOULD RELINQUISH
           THEIR CONSOLES TO THOSE IN HIGHER PRIORITY GROUPS UPON
           REQUEST, AND/OR LOG OUT IF SERVICE IS TOO SLOW.

        2. PROJECTS OF GROUP A SHOULD AVOID HAVING
           MORE THAN 3 INDIVIDUALS USING THE SYSTEM
           SIMULTANEOUSLY DURING THE DAY, AND RUNNING MORE THAN
           ONE COPY OF A MONSTER PROGRAM.

        3. ANY INDIVIDUAL CLAIMING TO FALL UNDER GROUP A MUST FILL OUT
           AN APPLICATION FORM IN MINSKY'S OFFICE.

        4. INDIVIUALS IN GROUP C SHOULD AVOID USING THE SYSTEM DURING
           THE DAY.

GROUP A:
        A. I. FACULTY AND DOCTORAL STUDENTS
        VISION
        MATHLAB
        LISP AND PLANNER LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT
        NATURAL LANGUAGE
        LOGO
        MAINTENANCE OF ITS

GROUP B:
        AUTOMATA THEORY - LIFE - CELLULAR AUTOMATA
        NUMBER THEORY
        VISUAL EFFECTS
        MUSIC

GROUP C:
        HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
        FRIENDS OF FRIENDS OF ... OF USER'S OF THE SYSTEM
        PLAYING CHESS OR OTHER GAMES
        DYNAMIC MODELERS
        GUESTS - E.G. SIM
        TJ6'ING PERSONAL LETTERS