[its-hackers] Knight (and SAIL) keyboard replicas

Ken Harrenstien iceklh at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 18:30:18 CET 2021

Uh, that link doesn't seem to work for me.

Despite the additional bucky bits, I don't really remember
any ITS programs that depended on the Knight kbds except perhaps D
(the circuit drawing program) and some command functions
specific to the TK TV system.  The keyboard itself was well made
with nice Cherry switches, although now you can order a bewildering
variety of them with all kinds of preferences in the way they
feel and operate and sound and light up.  Also, IIRC the originals
were physically quite large compared with modern keyboards so
you'll need plenty of desk space and perhaps a chair height
adjustment.

There is an internal mailing list at Google called mechanical-keyboards
which has a fair bit of discussion amongst the key-crazed.  I almost
ordered one of the more popular configurations but got
stuck trying to decide between all the key and keycap varieties,
and then was overtaken by events.  So I'm somewhat interested but
have no time.

--Ken